Thursday, October 14, 2010

Plan for getting to Poland

I left Trakai by bus today, heading southwest towards Poland. The easiest way to get to Poland would've been to go back to Vilnius and catch a bus that takes ten hours directly to Warsaw, but I thought it would be more interesting to go from town to town. A complication is that the portal from Lithuania to Poland is a narrow one, with Belarus on east side and Kaliningrad which is part of Russia on the west. Both Belarus and Russia have harsh visa requirements. Of course I found out about Russia's when getting my visa for there in China. I don't want to go through that again, and apparently Belarus's requirements are just the same. So my aim is to cross over where Lithuania borders Poland and avoid Russia and Belarus on either side and head to the Polish town of Suwalki. See the map below - click on the image for a sharper version.


No comments:

Post a Comment