Monday, May 10, 2010

Denpasar

Arrived here on a bemo (the name for shuttle buses here) from Ubud and had to transfer to another bemo to take me to Ubung, on the outskirts of Denpasar and where I take a bus westwards. I spent a night here and it was fantastic walking around the city centre, looking at markets, stopping for food at roadside stalls: chicken satay and nasi goreng seem to be the most popular dishes. During my several hours of wandering about, not only didn't I see any other tourists but I didn't see a single other white person amongst the thousands of locals. This was great, I really felt like I was off the beaten track. I got a few looks as if to say 'what are you doing here?' but everyone was friendly and I didn't even have to fend of hawkers too much. In the evening I was at a city park where there was live music and people dancing and generally having a good time.

I bought a DVD of ten movies for 10,000 Rp ( about $NZ2) but when I got back to my hotel and tried it, found that the movies were completely different from the ones on the cover, half of them didn't work, and of the ones that did, they were pirated movies of the worst quality: a home video camera pointed at a cinema screen! Thought about trying to return it but didn't bother.

2 comments:

  1. "Thought about trying to return it"? Well it has to be said that you should have realised it was a load of pirated stuff, and therefore you were taking your chances. In Malaysia once I was given a stern lecture by one of the locals who was incensed by the pirate dvd trade which, she said, gave the country a bad reputation and wouldn't happen if the unscrupulous tourists would stop trying to get something for nothing. Hard to argue with her, it has to be said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a problem with pirated DVDs. Hollywood movie studios have been exploiting the public for decades. Even movies that are 50 years old and have made back their costs many times over are still sold at huge prices. Movie stars and executives are among the richest people in the world. For them to morally exhort us not to buy pirate movies so that they can get even more money is outrageous.

    ReplyDelete