Sunday, July 4, 2010

Heat

Cambodia seems to be the hottest place on my journey so far. Darwin, Indonesia, and Malaysia were hot but I could still do things. Thailand was mild by comparison. Then I arrived in Siem Reap and the heat was intense, beating down on me whenever I stepped outside. I would sit still in the shade and still be sweating. I had to curtail my activities because of it, only managing a couple of hours outside in the daytime before having to seek out airconditioning. Perhaps I'm still run down from the dengue fever which means more sensitivity to heat? Anyway, I've arrived in Phnom Penh and sought out a hotel with a swimming pool. But as soon as I arrived it started pouring with rain. Everyone else ducked for cover but I enjoyed the coolness of the rain. Will still go swimming in the pool even if rain continues.

It's a great hotel I'm staying at, even apart from the swimming pool. They are booking me a bus to Ho Chi Min City (Saigon) and arranging the visa for me! Which is just as well because lonely planet's information was frustrating: there are no visa-on-arrivals for Vietnam, whether you go by air or land. You have to have a visa in advance. Lonely planet then says that these visas in advance are easy to get in Phnom Penh but they don't actually tell you HOW to get one. I was anticipating seeking out the Vietnam embassy and spending a couple of days getting the visa, but I now realise that what lonely planet mean by it being easy is that many hotels and travel agents are willing to do it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment