Thursday, November 11, 2010

Rotterdam

I’ve just arrived here and will stay two nights. I’m feeling pretty excited at the thought that I’m almost at the end of my journey. After Rotterdam, I’ll go to a nearby town on the coast with the strange name of Hook of Holland from where there is a ferry over to Harwich in the UK. Upon arrival in Harwich - probably on November 12 - I will have completed my goal: NZ to UK without flying!* Keep reading the blog!

* (almost)


I stayed in a hostel in Rotterdam that was inside these strange cube-shaped buildings.


A door in the city's central library that I was too scared to go through. Good thing there's a warning.

5 comments:

  1. 'This could be Rotterdam or anywhere, Liverpool or Rome...'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simon,

    Just had a look at some of your recent entries - you certainly are getting around! I just emailed you re your saved mail at UC, as I won't be working here after 3rd Dec, so let me know what you'd like me to do with it, e.g. forward it somewhere, or whatever.

    Happy travelling!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey it's called around the world, you're only half way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally and Josh:
    Yes I wondered about that, but sometimes 'around the world' does refer to going to the other side rather than all the way back to the starting point. Walking around a building for example could mean going to the opposite side rather than all the way around.
    Anyway, I've had enough traveling for a while so won't be continueing eastwards, although the idea of getting a boat to the USA and then traveling down to the southernmost part of South America and trying to get a boat to NZ is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should get a boat to Canada and do some of that while you're about it - maybe the train across the continent.

    See you on Saturday

    J.

    ReplyDelete